There’s been this meme going around Facebook lately, where a poster gives you a number and you have to tell that number of things about you that other people may not know. If you comment on that post, you must continue the meme.
It’s been interesting reading all the things people have posted about themselves. I thought it would be fun to do a list for my music, and here’s what I came up with:
1. Last count I can play 10 different instruments.
2. I wish I were more extroverted so I could stage crazy-fun musical shenanigans like flash mobs or that guy who sang his fast-food order to the clerk, but I remain an introvert to my core.
3. I have much dismay that I cannot sing Tenacious D songs in polite company. Because playing acoustic guitars like you’re a Rock n’Roll God is epic with a capital E.
4. I wish I could write funny songs. For some reason it all comes out *very seriously.*
5. If I could do anything and be certain to make a steady income at it, I would probably still not want to be a rockstar/famous musical act. Infamous is much more my style.
6. I once sang “Yes, We Have No Bananas” (complete with a little dance) to a customer while I worked in the produce section at my first job. Her response: “So…. no bananas, then?”
7. I actually dislike playing amplified. I have to for many of the gigs and venues I play, but I it never sounds quite right and I hate fighting feedback. I lament the loss of acoustically-designed performance spaces, because unplugged is my bread & butter. If I could just play small house-concerts and the like, I would be a very happy camper.
8. Over my career-of-sorts, I have played in several jazz bands, several concert bands, two marching bands, two Celtic/Irish folk bands, a classical saxophone quartet, one concert choir, one small chamber orchestra, a “Jesus band,” and I did a very short stint in a Bluegrass band.
9. I once made $0.25 busking.
10. Best gig ever? When the college jazz band I belonged to performed at a WWII-themed Dance. It was like stepping back in time with all the ladies and gentlemen swinging on the dance floor.
Read Full Post »
Posted in My Medieval Life, or, Fun in the SCA, News, tagged bard, medieval, music, performance, Society for Creative Anachronism, talent competition on November 15, 2013 |
2 Comments »
I am so very pleased to report that the first round of voting for the “Known World’s Got Talent” competition ended last night, and it has been an awesome ride. I am even more pleased to report that….
…waaaaaait for it…..
I am in the Final Four!
I want to thank everyone who took the time to vote for me over the last couple of months, and acknowledge how appreciative I am of your support. This is the first widespread talent competition I have entered, and an international (!) one to boot, and I am humbled by the response. Thank you.
Now, you ask, where to from here?
As I understand it, the Society for Creative Anachronism has selected two judges — a founder and a bard (who happens to be none other than Heather Dale herself!) — to vet the four final entrants before selecting two to move onto the last stage. Those two entries will be announced sometime between now and December 1st. So stay tuned!
A few more words:
When my husband helped me create that video entry, I did it for fun, as a way to incorporate more period music into my repertoire and as an honorable representation of my rank as an Artisan for Wastekeep. I hoped that I would make the top four, but I did not go into it with a be-all/end-all attitude: I play and sing because I love it and get great pleasure from bringing a smile to others’ faces. Entering the Known World’s Got Talent competition was a way for me to fulfill that. So even if, in a few weeks, I find I have not made the Top Two, I remain happy, because I am a bard to my core, and I can rest assured that I have entertained people along the way.
Not to imply that I’m less than overjoyed at making the cut. Because, HOLY COW THAT’S AWESOME!
All I’m saying is that from here on out? It’s gravy.
Read Full Post »
The competition for “Known World’s Got Talent” is heating up and I need your vote! You have until 11:59EST on Nov. 14th to click the “thumbs up” for me on YouTube. Tell everyone. You will forever have my gratitude!
If the “thumbs up” feature doesn’t load in the embedded player, you can also go here to click it:
Read Full Post »